Here you will find a selection from recent posts on our website; the most recent ones are listed first. All posts here will have first appeared as ‘Latest posts’ on our home page and will move to here as later posts replace them. If you are unable to find a post you need then look for it under Features, Reviews, News or In the media (where the most recent posts are listed first), or under author name in References by author, A-Z, or use our Search function.
Reading on a Rainy Day, 1811 (Wikimedia Commons/McGill Library/George Mills
- Recent posts related to the Heritage Guardians campaign against the $498m extensions to the Australian War Memorial can be found in our campaign diary.
- Michelle Fahy in Michael West Media on the military-industrial revolving career door (11 March 2020).
- Felicity Ruby in Australian Foreign Affairs on US bases in Australia (28 February 2020).
- Jenny Hocking in Griffith Review on problems and stories at the National Archives (24 February 2020).
- David Stephens notes a book by Bill Edgar on stories of Western Australian servicemen from the Boer War to recent times (20 February 2020).
- Charlotte Palmer and David Stephens cast a critical eye over the claim that the Australian War Memorial can provide a ‘therapeutic milieu’ for veterans (16 February 2020).
- Zoe Smith in History Matters on sexual violence in Australian history (5 February 2020).
- David Stephens in Pearls and Irritations asks whether Dr Nelson’s legacy at the Australian War Memorial will be a massive expansion or an addiction to money from arms companies (31 January 2020).
- Michelle Fahy in Pearls and Irritations on Australia’s efforts to sell arms overseas (30 January 2020).
- The world’s largest arms companies donate to the Australian War Memorial, but the amounts are just small change to these gunrunners (28 January 2020).
- Mike Seccombe in The Saturday Paper on the close ties between the defence industry, the military and commemoration (25-31 January 2020).
- Lilly Torosyan in The Armenian Weekly reviews a book by Jennifer M. Dixon on how Turkey and Japan tweak their histories for political purposes (20 January 2020).
- David Stephens reviews The Missing, a short video on body identification and recovery in the Great War (14 January 2020).
- Open letter from Australian historians on bushfires, climate change and related issues (14 January 2020).
- Some resources on bushfires in Australian history (9 January 2020).