Honest History’s distinguished supporter, John Menadue, continues to add solid content to his Pearls and Irritations blog, both his own articles, guest bloggers and material reproduced from other sources. Apart from the important submission on foreign policy, this week’s new items include:
- Peter Varghese, former Secretary of DFAT, in a Brisbane speech on the challenges facing Australia in its future relations with China and the United States;
- Reg Little, former diplomat, on cultural differences between China and Australia;
- John McCarthy, former senior diplomat, on ‘preparing for Trump’. ‘Our political class’, McCarthy says, ‘must avoid the temptation to allow our own political discourse to be infected by Trump’s victory .We must stick to our own values, not only because they are ours, but because in four years time America’s outlook may revert to something with which we again have something in common.’
- Travers McLeod, author and policy analyst, looks at the career and predilections of General Mattis, the Trump nominee for Secretary of Defense.
- Finally, John Menadue presents evidence that the Australian mainstream media is unresponsive to Australian needs and is focused instead on the Northern Hemisphere and the Atlantic
9 December 2016